We Are Here
To Serve You
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce And Family Law
  4.  » Modifications

When Modification Of A Family Law Order Is Required

Parenting plans and child and spousal support payments are often ordered by the court in the form of a decree. However, when circumstances change, the attorneys at Patricia L. Brown & Associates in Round Rock, Texas, can assist you in modification of these orders to reflect your current situation.

Contact our Round Rock child custody, support and visitation modification attorneys to schedule an initial consultation.

Helping Modify Child Support, Visitation And Alimony Payment Orders

Should relevant circumstances change, Texas law provides for the modification of child support payment orders through a post-divorce modification if there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances. Although the burden of proving that a modification is necessary can be difficult, such relevant circumstances include:

  • Remarriage or relocation of the custodial or noncustodial parent
  • Change in the custody arrangements so that the noncustodial parent is spending more time with his or her children
  • Loss of employment, demotion or promotion

Modification of alimony may be sought for similar reasons.

It is important to remember that informal agreements to change the parenting plan or child support order are not recognized by Texas courts. To be enforceable, formal modifications to child custody and support court orders must be sought and obtained through the court system. This means that even if your former spouse verbally agrees to a reduction in child support, you may be held in contempt of court for violating your formal court order if he or she changes his or her mind.

To avoid these and other difficulties, it is important to seek the assistance of our experienced Texas lawyers when you are seeking a modification of your child support or custody arrangement.

When Modifying Child Support Or Other Family Law Matter

You do not have to drive to Austin. High-quality, experienced legal services are available in your own neighborhood. To modify child support, contact our Williamson County lawyers. Call us toll-free at 866-369-3211 or locally at 512-436-0826 to schedule an appointment.